Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Moving Mountains

When I was a child, my Mom taught me that it's always easier to maintain cleanliness than it is to have a huge mess to pick up. I know this is true and because of it I always try to stay on top of the laundry and get it put away immediately because it seems to be one of those eternal chores (dishes are also in this category) that always need to be done. I've found that if I get behind, it takes at least a day or more to catch up.

Usually I do laundry on Tuesday and Saturday (whites, mediums, darks and diapers -- I throw in an extra load of diapers on Thursday). Last Tuesday I got all the laundry clean, but other than that, hadn't done anything else with it. I had homework to do and school in the morning, so I put it off. Then, Saturday I was busy taking care of my sick baby who didn't want to be left alone, as well as preparing dinner and the house for people coming over that evening (plans that were made well in advance of Miriam getting sick). So all that got done that day was a load of whites so I wouldn't run out of clean underwear and diapers, as usual.

Having said all that folks, I'm behind. Remember the "Grand Teton sized clean laundry piles in the sewing room" I talked about the other day? Well, I'm finally going to tackle them, as well as the dirty laundry, today. This means six loads of laundry (whites, diapers, two medium and two dark) total need to be cleaned. As well as ironing and putting away all the clean clothes that are sitting in the laundry room. I'm pretty sure this will take me all day so I'd better get moving!

0 comments: