Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mommy Brain

Since I am the youngest of six children, I was sometimes occasionally frequently called one of my siblings names rather than my own. Sometimes it was a combination, like Ali-Haylee. The worst was when my mom couldn't even remember my name and called me Junior (the dog). But this is what happens when a woman becomes a mommy. She gives part of her brain away to each child (this is the truth to why the oldest child is always the smartest -- it really has nothing to do with the amount of time spent working with the child...just the amount of brain they received). Mom's are just charitable that way. Only problem is, losing part of our brains affects us in weird ways.

I really didn't think I would have "Mommy Brain" with just one child. I mean, I only have two names to mix up (Owen and Miriam). And I'm not really that busy. I don't have to worry about piano lessons, soccer practice, dance class, YM/YW, homework, etc. All I have is the occasional doctor's appointment, some dishes to do, and a couple classes on Monday and Wednesday. Not that much, right?! But then I find myself walking into a room and not remembering what I went in there to do, so now I walk around the house saying "Kitchen, fork. Kitchen, fork. Kitchen, fork." or "Bedroom, shoes. Bedroom, shoes. Bedroom, shoes." Only to be frustrated when I can't remember what I needed a fork or shoes for!!

And I digress. This morning I'm pretty sure I washed my hair twice. I'm only pretty sure because if I knew for positive, I wouldn't have washed it twice!! But I couldn't remember, so I did it again (I think) just to be safe. Before I know it, I'm going to be out of shampoo and have a flooded kitchen because I left the sink filling so I could wash dishes while I put the laundry in to dry.

So apparently, denial is not just a river in Africa, it is what I have been up against. But, I am slowly beginning to accept this new challenge in life. I may not be able to remember if I zipped my fly or if I checked the mail already, but I will go on!! "Mommy Brain" will not be the end of me!! At least not with this child.

1 comments:

The Cook Clan said...

You are so funny. I know it kinda stinks when ya start acting like your mom did and you always made fun of her for it. I like your theory on giving part of the brain away. Although I kinda don't like it cuz I'm the youngest of four. that means I got gypped! Not sure how to spell that. :)