Tuesday, April 01, 2008

No Foolin' Here!

This is no April Fools', it is my Dad's birthday. He has been cursed blessed to be born on April Fools' Day. I'm sure he had many jokes played on him when he was a boy, and I know he's had a couple tricks thrown in during my lifetime. Overall though, I think we've tried to be kind on his birthday because we love him.

Here's some things I know and love about my Dad:

My Dad always took me on "adventures". This really just meant that he was lost, I think. This just shows his calm personality. In a time that I would usually panic, he would switch the situation into something fun. And in the end, they really were fun!

My Dad and I used to take walks. This consisted of me riding my purple banana seat bike alongside him as he walked through our, and connecting, neighborhood. My Dad has always taken very good care of his body by running, biking and walking. I'm glad he let me be part of that side of him by taking me with him sometimes.

My Dad is a very gentle man, who isn't afraid to show emotion or cry at something tender. It takes a real man to be like this. I don't think he has a cruel bone in his body. I'm pretty sure I've never actually been afraid of him. Except for maybe this time.


















(I think he was dressed up as Moses or one of the Wise Men for a church something-or-other. But to me he looked like Uncle Roger, and he used to scare the daylights out of me when I was little.)

My Dad has always been dedicated to serving the Lord. I remember always being able to catch him saying his prayers or reading his scriptures in the morning. And any time he's asked to give any sort of lesson on a church subject, he'll read and research that topic for days and weeks on end. This usually leaves him with hours worth of teaching material to use for a 20-50 minute presentation. What can I say...he loves learning, especially about the gospel?!

My Dad loves to read. When I say love, I mean LOVE! My dad takes books everywhere with him. As long as my Dad has a book, he can sit patiently anywhere for just about anything (band concerts, shopping with my mom, at the doctor's office, etc.). I'm grateful that he was such a good literary example to me and my siblings.

My Dad loves brownies, especially brownie batter. If he were here with me today instead of in Nigeria, I'd whip him up a special batch just to show him I love him. But since he isn't here and is doing much more important things, this post will have to suffice.

My Dad is very patient, very supportive and very loving. He's always loved and encouraged my creativity. He understands that my experiments sometimes take lots of time, resources, and aren't always thought out 100% when I start. But he helps me anyway and the result is always fantastic. It's because of this that I am always willing to try a new recipe, a new paint color, or a new idea. Thanks for never squashing my dreams Dad! That means more to your little girl than words can say.

I love you Dad! I hope you've had a great birthday!

0 comments: