This may surprise you since I tend to be quite accomplished in the kitchen, but I have never in my life made bread. I've watched many a time, and I've definitely become quite the bread connoisseur over the years, but I've never done it myself...until today.
You see, I've never had to make bread. As a child, my Mom took care of that responsibility and ever since Owen and I married two years ago he's always just taken charge of the family bread products (muffins, breads, pizza crust, etc). So, today was quite the adventure for me, as you might imagine. But, Owen has been quite busy with school and work and we had been out of bread for two days. I knew it was time to step up and get it done.
I was a little worried going into the project, especially as horror stories of my Mom's first bread-making experience stories came to mind (these happened many, many years ago...she makes delicious bread now). I remember her telling me that her first loaf came out and was about the consistency of a brick, and probably had a similar taste (I can't recall the exact details -- she'll have to refresh my memory).
So, before I started, I called Owen. I had him tell me the precise directions (they weren't written down anywhere) that he follows so it would turn out okay. He laughed, but then realized I was serious, so he told me. Then I started. Unfortunately, I hadn't checked all the pantry's ingredients before hand so I ended up running up and down the stairs grabbing flour and oil and some more flour. Who knew making bread could be such a workout? In the end though I think I did pretty well. It tastes like usual and it even looks alright.
The loaf on the right is a little funny looking. But, hey, it's my first time!
Friday, April 25, 2008
A First Time for Everything
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment