Thursday, June 26, 2008

I'm a Winner!!

A couple months ago, Owen started participating in the contests airing through a local radio station. He won a prize and then had to wait it out until the fourteen-day prize limit was met before he was allowed to play again. Although since you're just not allowed to win for fourteen days, I wonder if you can still play as long as you get the answer wrong...Do you think anybody has tried this? Anyway, back the story. He has played off and on once the restriction days were completed, but has yet to win. I helped when I could (on my school days while driving to Rexburg or when he called me to look up something for him online--surprisingly, even Google can't find the answer to some of the questions...either that or I'm dense and just can't find them...I don't want to know your opinion on which it is, thanks) but mostly this was Owen's deal.
Then the radio station started giving away tickets to see Brigadoon (our local Sound's Choir puts on a musical every year and this is this years). The tickets are expensive ($8 for general seating; $15 for reserved) and I knew I was too cheap to buy them, but thought it would be really fun to go. So, last week I began playing too.

We tried to play every game the tickets were available for, but were beginning to think that we just weren't going to be lucky enough to go. Today was our day though! This morning while Owen was in class, I decided to have one more go at winning. The game was Mystery Morning Trivia (I'm horrible at movie trivia, by the way...I just don't watch enough movies to be very good at it). I heard the clip "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." and my heart sank. I had no idea what movie that was from. Then a split second later, I thought, Maybe I'll have time to look it up!! I tried not to get my hopes up as I sprinted to the computer room (seriously, I didn't know I could maneuver that quickly through the house) sat down and typed away. I googled the quote, saw the top link was for Ghostbusters and began dialing. I got in immediately (I almost panicked and hung up -- I never get in that easily) and then thought, What if it's not Ghostbusters?! I'll feel really stupid guessing that if it is totally off, especially because everybody has seen Ghostbusters...except me, of course. I decided to go with it anyway. They answered and asked for my answer. I was right!!! I won a movie trivia game on a movie that I hadn't even seen!! Impressive, I know.

I won four tickets to see the musical tomorrow...and I am so excited!! And as my little disclaimer: I realize that it is totally pathetic that I have not seen Ghostbusters, but in my defense...the movie came out before I was even born. And I'm pretty sure my parents had a very good reason for not letting me watch it as a child. Now, that I'm an adult, I guess it just hasn't been on the top of my "to-watch" list. Maybe I'll see it one day. But for now, I'm just happy that I won!!

2 comments:

Queen of hard rocks said...

Hi Haylee,
Aren't you still my little singer? Isn't it just yesterday we were going on a cruise?

Really your blog is adorable. I can't believe your old enough to be a wife and now a mother. I hope you still think kind thoughts of ShoBiz because I sure do.

Take care. Love ya always, Roberta Inglet

Kellie Henry said...

That is so awesome! Winning things make them so much better! Good Job girl!