Wednesday, June 11, 2008

All is Well, All is Well

I had a graduation scare earlier this week. Ya know, one of those moments of panic where the power to the light at the end of the tunnel suddenly goes out, leaving you with a black out. It was stressful and frustrating. Here's the run down of events.

Registration for fall semester opened last Monday...and I forgot about it. My mom told me it must have been another case of Mommy Brain, and honestly, she's probably right. So, this most recent Monday while I'm sitting on campus hurriedly trying to finish my assignments for class, Owen was kind enough to remind me that registration opened last week.

What?! Last week!! Oh boy, this could be bad. Um, why didn't you tell me last week?!
About two seconds later I was logged on to my student account and frantically searching through my course codes to register for my last three classes (excluding my student teaching). Hot diggity dog, math methods is still available!...click...class successfully added.! On to assessments...phew, a couple openings there too...click...class successfully added. Two down, one to go. Senior practicum...FULL!! Ahh!! It can't be full...I need this class! What am I going to do?!

It was bad. I can't remember the last time I was this worried about school. All this work, two semesters to go and I might not finish because the class is full! Grr...I was ready to write a letter to the editor, one to President Clark and another to whomever would listen to me whine, gripe and complain. I ended up not writing a letter to anybody, but rather complaining to my sister-in-law, Gina, because it just so happens that she is a great listener reader (we communicate through google chat). I went to bed Monday night worried, but not quite as frustrated after venting to her.

I woke up Tuesday morning a little happier about the situation. All along I knew it would all work out, but I didn't know how, and the faith aspect was not working so well for me at the time. I emailed the professor of the section that would work best with my schedule. He said I had to sign up on a waiting list for the class. Are you kidding me?! A class that has to be taken the semester before student teaching doesn't have enough room and even has a waiting list?! This is crazy!! Shouldn't the school already know how many students will be student teaching during the winter and therefore know how many placements they need for the senior practicum?!

Then it dawned on me...(don't you love those light bulb moments?)...my science teacher is the Education Department Chair!! And he's a super nice guy!! And I'm one of his more favorite students (there are advantages to being a participating and overachieving student...other than the learning and good grade, of course). I suddenly felt loads better, even though I knew he was only allowed to do so much squishing students in and bending of policies, I knew he'd somehow get me in. I just knew it was going to be okay.

Today I went and talked to said teacher about the practicum class and how there weren't enough spots...a fact that he was already well aware of. He had even opened up a new section for it and students from the waiting list were already added to it...if they requested the Monday, Wednesday class, that is. I, of course, always seem to make things difficult and need the Tuesday, Thursday class. Luckily, I, and one other student, are the only two on the waiting list who need the class these days (there were fourteen students who needed the other class days). So, he said he'd squeeze us in!! And there you have it! All is well, all is well.

1 comments:

The Cook Clan said...

Wow, sounds like you are pretty busy.