Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sleep Nazi

A few years ago, a young mother of twin boys I know once called herself a "Sleep Nazi". She then explained to my sister and me about the sleep books she had read and what she was doing with her young boys that made her a Sleep Nazi.

Sleep is very very important to me. Those who know me well know why...I just don't function so much without a good amount of sleep...and I get really cranky too!! So, I knew long before I was even married that I would need to be a Sleep Nazi too when I had children of my own.

Luckily, my wonderful sister, Alicia, started having children before I did. So she has had the opportunity to find some good parenting books, thus saving me from reading all of them (which I likely would have done because I like to be objective). She recommended that my parents get me Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth for Christmas. They did, and I am so grateful.

This book is amazing! I can't believe how easy it is to get Miriam to sleep when I follow the simple principles of sleep. Miriam has been on a very consistent sleep schedule for about 3 weeks now (since Daylight Saving Time actually). I guess she just decided to be predictable one day, and I love it! I am able to get so much done now! Lately she has been taking 2 1/2 - 4 hour naps (yes 4 hours!!!!) twice a day And she goes to bed between 6 and 7 p.m. and wakes up between 7:30 and 8 a.m. All this with one or two nighttime feedings which take 15 minutes at most!

I can't begin to tell you how much I love all the sleep I'm catching up on from this new pattern. I'm sure most mothers out there understand what I mean though. Here's my sleeping angel now:


















By the way, today was Miri's first day in her crib. When she was born she wouldn't sleep in it, so it has just been sitting around, collecting dust. So we borrowed Grandma's bassinet and let her sleep there for a couple months. We decided that since she is sleeping so consistently now that we'd try the crib again. So far, so good! Now all the cute crib bedding that her Grandma made her can be put to good use.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Not to mention your sister-in-law, the wonderful Gina, who found this book 4.5 years ago and swears by it too! :)

Michael and Lyndsey said...

I'm so glad that she's sleeping well. She's such a cutie!

Danielle said...

I also use this book (thanks to Gina and two other friends' whose kids' behavior I admire). I love it and reccomend it to everyone!